Spiritual Dryness

Over the two last months we’ve spent more time than ever in separation from one another and from the Eucharist, the Source and Summit of our Faith. Over the last week, I have gotten some feedback from our young people and the struggles they’ve been dealing with in their spiritual lives. Struggles we probably all can relate too. 

As I went to write this reflection I found myself thinking about the seasons we go through in our spiritual lives. We have seasons where our faith is on fire, we have seasons where we move easily through it and it doesn’t require a lot of effort, and then we have seasons where even praying the Our Father seems like it is the biggest struggle in the world, let alone going to Mass and living out our Catholic faith. 

What do we do then? Maybe this is where you find yourself now. Being at home and unable to physically access the Sacraments has tested you in a way you couldn’t have imagined. Over my life, I know I have never experienced my faith being refined in this way. The reality is that no matter where you are right now, it is okay. God has not abandoned us. God is still here. While public Masses are not being offered again yet, priests are continuing to offer private Masses for the Church daily. Our Religious Brothers and Sisters are praying for the world even as the world came to a stop. Even various churches have remained open for private prayer, including those who have gathered under the guidelines to pray the rosary, and on Wednesdays Adoration has continued as an opportunity for contemplative prayer. Your Church families are still there and nothing can separate your ability to love and care for one another even at a distance. 

The video I’m sharing today is from Fr. Josh Johnson with Ascension Presents. He talks about four reasons for spiritual dryness. I think it’s something that is very relevant for us in the midst of this pandemic. I encourage you to watch it and then challenge yourself with one way to grow your spiritual life this week. As I tell my young people, don’t try to do everything. Instead, start small with a commitment that you can follow through with in your own life. Maybe it’s five minutes of Scripture reading a day. Maybe it’s praying the rosary a couple times this week. Maybe you make it to Adoration today. Perhaps it’s closing your day with evening prayers. Take time to reflect on what you’re doing with your prayer life and what you might need to change to spark that flame again.

After all, as St. Augustine says, 
"To fall in love with God is the greatest romance; to seek him the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement." 
Let us find new ways in this season of our lives to fall deeper in love with the one who loved us first. Find new ways to cultivate your relationship with God during this crisis. Surrender your hearts and do not fear as you journey closer to Christ. I am praying for you and I hope you will continue your prayers for me. 



Comments