A Restless Heart Finds Its Way


Stop. Right this second, just stop. Take a breath. Maybe close your eyes for a moment and breathe.

This time of trial can very easily overwhelm us; often we forget to stop and breathe. We get caught up with everything that we have to do for work, for school, or for our families, even in the midst of this pandemic. Our minds race because we are so worried about what is going to happen in the next weeks, or months. Our hearts ache for all the things we are losing this year and all the end of school year traditions our young people won’t get to experience. Our souls are longing for peace and so we are restless. Almost a month ago, I wrote my first reflection and I quoted St. Augustine. I think today that quote still holds true, maybe even more so.
“You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
I am the first to admit the struggles of balancing working from home full time with my three year old son. I miss seeing our young people, celebrating Mass with our parish family, and having my fellow staff members working in the same building together at the same time. This week was especially challenging as we found out the students would not be returning to school this year. I am saddened at the thought of not celebrating the end of my first year back to work as a youth minister with my young people.

I share all of this in the hope that you are reminded you are not alone. We are all in this together and we will make it through. We have a God that is greater than anything and He loves us more than we can imagine. He is simply waiting for us to surrender all our frustrations and anger, our sadness and heartache at His feet. If you are struggling right now, reach out. Reach out to your friends, your family, your parents. Reach out to Christ. He is waiting.

Personally, I find a lot of spiritual rest in music. Music is a way for me to pray with my heart and soul, a way to find the words I want to say when I feel lost. I take comfort in lyrics that let me reflect and breathe. To close today, I want to share with you the song “Way Maker”. May you be reminded that our God is a great and mighty king, who is who He said is and is always there for us in times of uncertainty.

Comments